d David
on

Can anyone share insights into the DD0003 error  < DD0003 Missing required 'Role' value for 'ItemRef' > when define v1.0 is validated (pinnacle 2.20 community) for and ADaM define based.  Though the ROLE attribute is present though null across all the variables.

The question is : should Role be removed from the define.xml completely - or is it acceptable for this error if one cites that it's a false positive as ROLE is not required in ADaM for define.xml v1.0?  Appreciate insights into this as I can't find any explicit documentation about this - i.e., I can't find any guidance describing that the attribute should be removed altogether from the define versus merely set to null.

Forums: Define.xml

l Lex
on September 22, 2017

Not answering about Pinnacle 21, but in my view it is not a good design practice to create attibutes with a value of 0 or more blanks when the attribute is not supposed to be there. But, technically, Role=“ ” and Role=“” are valid XML. An empty string is not the same as null.

d David
on September 22, 2017

Thank you Lex.

My specific example is   <ItemRef ItemOID="adsl.STUDYID" Mandatory="Yes" OrderNumber="1" Role=""></ItemRef>     Note: there are no spaces between the quotes for ROLE.

For the example Pinnacle 21 will throw DD0003 error - presumable because ROLE is not populated which should not be the case for SDTM but the define is for ADaM.

However, when Role="" is removed, there is no validation error. 

ex. <ItemRef ItemOID="adsl.STUDYID" Mandatory="Yes" OrderNumber="1" ></ItemRef>  

What I'm unclear about is whether the define validation check is throwing a false positive since Role="" should be equivalent to Role attribute being completely removed?

l Lex
on September 22, 2017

For an XML parser there is a difference between Role="" and the Role attribute being absent. How Pinnacle 21 treats these differences, is something that they would have to answer.

Lex

Want a demo?

Let’s Talk.

We're eager to share and ready to listen.

Cookie Policy

Pinnacle 21 uses cookies to make our site easier for you to use. By continuing to use this website, you agree to our use of cookies. For more info visit our Privacy Policy.