d Dmitry
on

When codelists are provided both on the value and variable levels, this check seems to be triggered. According to define.xml specification, it is possible to have them on both levels:

Note that there is no requirement to provide a codelist on a parent variable if codelists are provided at the Value level, though one can be provided if desired. If the user provides codelists at both levels, it is expected that a codelist defined at the Variable level will be a superset of all codelists specified at the Value level for the specified Variable.

Occured in version 2.1. Thank you.

Forums: Define.xml

g Gerard
on December 14, 2015

Hey Dimitry,

Would it be possible for you to email me the define.xml you got this message with? It would give me a better chance at being able to tell you exactly what caused the issue, or to confirm that this is a bug with our validator.

Regards,

Gerard

d Dmitry
on December 17, 2015

Gerard,

I have sent an example define.xml file to support@opencdisc.com and support@pinnacle21.net. Hope you can get it from there. Thank you.

g Gerard
on December 22, 2015

Dimitry,

I received your define, I will look into your issues and get back to you A.S.A.P.

Cheers,

Gerard

d Dmitry
on December 31, 2015

Gerard has investigated it and clarified that it is caused by an incorrect order of elements in my define.xml - in my case ValueListRef was before CodeListRef. Once the order is fixed, the issue disappears.

j Jozef
on December 31, 2015

"Invalid content was found starting with element xxx" is a typical XML-Schema error message for a wrong order of elements within the parent element. And yes, "def:ValueListRef" must definitely come after "CodeListRef".

You can easily detect such schema errors by following the by CDISC published "XML Schema Validation for Define.xml White Paper" (it was published for define.xml 1.0, but the same principles apply to define.xml 2.0), and opening your define.xml in an XML editor or viewer (some are free) and clicking the "XML-Schema validation" button. Then validate against either "define1-0-0.xsd" or "define2-0-0.xsd" (depending on the define-XML version you are using), and you will immediately see WHERE exactly the problem is.

Also a good idea to follow a define.xml training course at CDISC (the next will probably be at the EU Interchange in Vienna in April) where you learn everything about the details of define.xml (we teach 2.0) and how to validate against XML-Schema and much much more in a single day.

Want a demo?

Let’s Talk.

We're eager to share and ready to listen.

Cookie Policy

Pinnacle 21 uses cookies to make our site easier for you to use. By continuing to use this website, you agree to our use of cookies. For more info visit our Privacy Policy.