m Manolya
on

Hi!

If I have a SUPP-- Domain with only one QNAM, then why do I need a VLM on QVAL? In case of one QNAM I can map QVAL accordingly.

Thanks in advance!

Forums: Define.xml

j Jozef
on February 2, 2017

The reason is that the define.xml "is leading". Software that merges supplemental qualifiers back to their parent domain (like the "Smart Dataset-XML Viewer") reads the define.xml and makes a list of the supplemental variables (the QNAMs) and then creates additional columns in the view of the parent domain. These are then filled with the data from the SUPPxx file.
If not defined in the define.xml, the software would need to first read the complete SUPPXX file to find out how many different QNAMs there are, which is much much slower. Furthermore, the software that does the merging needs to know the datatype (and sometimes maximal length) for each of the supplemental qualifiers which it can only retrieve from the valuelevel variable definitions in the define.xml.

I hope this helps ...

Want a demo?

Let’s Talk.

We're eager to share and ready to listen.

Cookie Policy

Pinnacle 21 uses cookies to make our site easier for you to use. By continuing to use this website, you agree to our use of cookies. For more info visit our Privacy Policy.