j Joan
on

For continuations, the split between COVAL and COVAL1 text will sometimes trip a warning if the continuation text block begins with a space. Should the first part of the rule that

"Character values should not have leading space ' ' characters or '.' as an entire value

be suspended / not applied for continuation fields, where absense of space would be run-together text?

Please consider and advise. 

Also for these continuation fields what is the expected label for them?  There is no example in I.G. of the labels of them I've had trouble getting an exact label match that OpenCDISC recognizes.

Thanks very much,

Joan Berger

Forums: SDTM

s Sergiy
on July 20, 2012

Hi Joan, 

1. We follow a general recommendation from SDTM/SEND IG documents:

“When splitting a text string into several records, the text should be split between words to improve readability.”

(SDTM IG #4.1.5.3.2  page 51 or SEND IG #4.5.3.2 page 37)

2. Yes, there is no info about labels for COVAL1, COVAL2, … variables.  As a temporary solution we use the same label as specified for COVAL variables: “Comment”. I would prefer “Comment 1” or “Comment2” instead. But we decided to not add anything to SDTM standard.

Best Regards,

Sergiy Sirichenko

j Joan
on July 20, 2012

Hi Sergiy

The page 51 split instruction is about text being split to different records, when it's split between parent domain record and SUPP-- record.  Rather than adjoining columns.  Should the initial leading blank condition apply for this situation?

For the labels, thanks for the information on that.

Best,

Joan

j Joan
on July 24, 2012

Using the configuration file for *Amendment 1* (latest update posted to svn area), I'm seeing now that when I've selected no define to input to the validation of xpt files, then the COVAL1 - COVAL4 continuation leading space character does not create an issue with validation; the same is true for continuation TSVAL1.

But only when a define (attributes of datatype=text; length=200 for these fields) is submitted along with the xpt files being validated, then the validator complains with warning.  What do you think?

Thanks very much,

Joan

k Karl
on May 30, 2017

Hi, 

I think splitting between words still do not solve the issue of the blank space, let's say for example "...patient said it forgot to take the pill..." and the first letter of 'said' is already at 198 characters, but for readability we can:

- Split after "it " and preserving the trailing space, then COVAL1 starts with "said" with no leading space

- Split after "it" without preserving the trailing space but still splitting between words, then COVAL1 starts with " said", i.e, with a leading space.

Removing the space in between the words shouldn't be an option as that would mean the comment is 'patientsaid' which is not correct either. So what's the approach taken in this case? Usually I tell the programmers to follow the first option even if it leaves a trailing blank space in COVAL as trade off of having COVAL1 without a leading blank space. Not to mention this could be more complicated if next to the blank space we add the possibility of punctuation marks

j Jozef
on May 30, 2017

And then some people still swear that we should keep using SAS-XPT and not move to XML ... (where there is no 200 character limitation).

l Lex
on June 8, 2017

I think we do not need leading or trailing blanks. The application that combines the COVAL, COVAL1, COVAL2, ... variables should just insert a blank between 2 parts.

But most of all we need a modern transport format.

Want a demo?

Let’s Talk.

We're eager to share and ready to listen.

Cookie Policy

Pinnacle 21 uses cookies to make our site easier for you to use. By continuing to use this website, you agree to our use of cookies. For more info visit our Privacy Policy.